One King’s Summer League

With school out during the summer, there are many opportunities for young adults to take up.One being the Marion Barry Summer Youth Employment Program where ages 14-24 can obtain a summer job for pay.
One student, a rising junior at Woodrow Wilson High School, did just that while also playing basketball. Aaron King, 15, was a Soul of the City journalist this summer housed at Richard Wright Public Charter School for Journalism and Media Arts as he was playing in a summer league.
King played for the More Than Basketball League as part of the Tru 2 Form team. The team played at his current high school where he really enjoyed himself.
“It’s really fun and you get to be active as well,” King said.
All credit has been given to his family for his interest in sports where growing up he played football, baseball and did triathlons. He might even add swimming and cross country to his list.
 “My dad, my mom and her brother were the reason I started. They took me down to the rec where my mom grew up and that’s where basketball came about,” he said.
Hearing about the opportunity to play in the summer league came from playing junior varsity at Wilson High School during the school year then playing for the JV summer league for them as well.
One of his friend’s father introduced him to the More Than summer league where he was invited to play for Tru 2 Form.
Although King’s summer consisted of a physical sports structure and being a journalist, he said he is not committed to basketball. His main focus is academics and continuing to be a part of the College Bound program and the Community Club.
“I just want to get my GPA up and look at colleges, so I can be prepared,” King said.
Aaron King may have a love for sports, but he knows keeping an eye on his academic responsibilities will make him the best well-rounded student he can be. In the meantime, he can be caught loving his DC sports team and making sure John Wall remains the point guard for the Wizards.