News and Views from D.C. area High Schools

Capital Student News

SYEP Visits The Washington Post

Aaron King

Students in the SYEP Soul of the City program visited The Washington Post headquarters on June 28th to take a tour led by staff members, learn about how the newspaper is developed, and the many ways that journalists collaborate with one another.

As the students entered The Washington Post, they spoke with Victoria M. Walker, a Video Editor for the paper. She gave the students a quick overview of The Washington Post. Victoria was an intern from Reuters and recently graduated in May from Howard University School of Communications. Victoria has covered politics, local, and national news. The Soul of the City students also visited Cameron Blake, a Senior Producer and Prototype Engineer for Google Cardboard, Samsung Gear Virtual Reality, and all things immersive 360 degrees at the paper. Blake is also an Emmy Award winning animator. He allowed the students to try the Virtual Reality and 360 degrees experience. Khadejah Cox, a sophomore from Richard Wright Public Charter School said, “It was a very good experience because it gives a lot of people like me something that I may never be able to do.”  One experience allowed you to view Mars through special goggles, guiding yourself with an Xbox 360 controller. The 360 degrees experience is similar to Google maps, the difference being able to walk through and view surrounding houses.

As the visit was coming to a close, the Soul of the City students went on a tour of The Washington Post newsroom with Azhar Alfadi. She took the students to different areas of the building to show them various work areas. She mentioned the former Executive Director of The Washington Post, Ben Bradlee and the great impact he left on the workplace. Zaniyah Pendergast, a sophomore from Richard Wright Public Charter School, said, “The Washington Post was interesting, I liked the new parts of the building and style of architecture.”